Sunday, July 24, 2011

Summer Music - Part 1

My new position as assistant organist and choirmaster at Saint Paul's Episcopal Church is going swimmingly! The choir is unbelievably kind - they all know my name and I'm working hard to remember all of theirs! I've made some friends in the choir and have enjoyed their company, there are already some inside jokes which I am in on!

On July 20th, we had a rehearsal in preparation for a visit from Bishop Nathan Baxter. We had rehearsal at the Decker household followed by a party. I worked with the men in the basement while Dr. Decker worked with the women at the piano upstairs. After some rehearsing - we enjoyed a large meal (and just about everybody but me enjoyed beer or sangria!).

Here are some photos from the event, taking by Ken, a stunning bass.

Some of the men socializing before warming up with some hymns. 
Men rehearsing in the Decker basement, myself at the keys.
Myself and Dr. Bill Decker at the piano after a successful run of the anthem
Bishop Baxter came, and the music was sublime - the choir sang very well and the bishop remarked how he was moved by the offertory and communion music.

At the same time, I've been playing in the pit band for the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble summer musical - 'The Landlover'. Here are some photos of the pit band after this afternoon's matinee.

DJ Mikestro (guitar, keyboard) and myself (keyboard)
L to R: David (guitar, mandolin, banjo), Connor (drums) and Nick (bass guitar)


No comments: