Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My new favorite passage of all time

Nadia Boulanger was one of the greatest human beings to ever walk this Earth, I am convinced. This passage about her says so many great things about that wonderful lady, music, composition, understanding... EVERYTHING.

"When I met her, I showed her my kilos of symphonies and sonatas. She started to read them and suddenly came out with a horrible sentence: "It's very well written." And stopped, with a big period, round like a soccer ball. After a long while, she said: "Here you are like Stravinsky, like Bartók, like Ravel, but you know what happens? I can't find Piazzolla in this."

And she began to investigate my private life: what I did, what I did and did not play, if I was single, married, or living with someone, she was like an FBI agent! And I was very ashamed to tell her that I was a tango musician. Finally I said, "I play in a night club." I didn't want to say cabaret. And she answered, "Night club, mais oui, but that is a cabaret, isn't it?" "Yes," I answered, and thought, "I'll hit this woman in the head with a radio…." It wasn't easy to lie to her.

She kept asking: "You say that you are not pianist. What instrument do you play, then?" And I didn't want to tell her that I was a bandoneon player, because I thought, "Then she will throw me from the fourth floor." Finally, I confessed and she asked me to play some bars of a tango of my own. She suddenly opened her eyes, took my hand and told me: "You idiot, that's Piazzolla!"

And I took all the music I composed, ten years of my life, and sent it to hell in two seconds."

—Ástor Piazzolla, A Memoir

That lady was a blessing to this planet. I never 'met' her, but she has still had a profound influence on my understanding of music and what I mean to be as a musician.

Igor Stravinsky and Nadia Boulanger

No comments: