Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer 2010: Part 4

My last day in Indianapolis. I get some interesting feelings thinking back on this trip. I've been here for forty-seven days and I go home tomorrow.
Wow. Forty-seven days... in some ways it feels like it's only been a few days, in other ways it feels like it's been years.
I remember when I first got here, there were some people I knew from my grandparents' church, but it seemed like everybody there knew me! Every Sunday people would come up to me and say "Oh hey Cody! Nice to see you again! How've you been?" nine times out of ten I had no idea who these people were, it was only that odd one of ten times when I did know! Over the course of my stay I slowly got to know these people and now consider them friends. I experienced almost two months of life in a different city, a different family, a different community, a different church, a different social scene, a different life.
I remember, after my recital being greeted and congratulated by people I really didn't know, and now I know them all! I've become acquainted with the personalities, the mannerisms, and the sensitivities of many of the people in the Saint Paul's community. It's an incredible feeling I get when I think about just how much I gained while here! So many experiences, so many new people, so many new understandings. And yet, as always, still new questions!
I am leaving with excitement to return to my beloved hometown, my home family, my home community, my home church, my best friends, and my old life! Yet still, I am leaving with sadness because I know I'll miss Indianapolis and the people here. This place has really, truly become home since I've been here. It doesn't feel like a visit anymore, I feel like this is where I live, this is my city, my community... really I wasn't on vacation; I wasn't visiting. I was living here. There's a difference and it's all in how one percepts their time in a place and how they adjust there. I became totally Indianapolis-ized, therefore I lived here.
I'd like to make time to thank the following for making this such a wonderful experience:
Alan Mead, Pat Mead, Ariana Mead, Dave Easty, Rees Roberts, Jon Farnsley, David Sinden, Janette Fishell, James David Christie, Edie Johnson, David Lamb, Frank Boles, Robert Richter, Joyce Krauser, Ms. Brosius, Evie Brosius, Anna Goodlett, Cait Goodlett, Maureen Brooks, Alan Davis, Zach Creviston, Randy Frieling, Les Carpenter, Charlie Lowe, Jean Denton, Micheal Balke, Steven Balke, and all the teachers, counselors, students, and performers from the POE, as well as all the singers in the Saint Paul's choirs, and the staff and congregation of Saint Paul's.
Tomorrow, right after I get home, my brother Riley and I are going roller blading through town, then some friends and I are going to the movies. I keep thinking, 'can't wait to be home', but truly, Indianapolis has been my home for a month and a half; it's quite confusing, I consider both places home in a way now, the difference is enormous, but somehow they're both home. More thoughts later.

No comments: