Friday, February 5, 2010

Interesting Bus ride

I find myself in Indianapolis now, I'm here to meet Gerre Hancock, attend a concert of his, and visit family. That is all to come but my trip has already proved quite interesting... it was quite a bus ride.
First thing that happens on the bus, the driver's intercom stops working and he has to scream for us to hear his announcements.
Ten minutes later, an elderly man of maybe late 60's or early 70's is talking on the phone to several people, he uses every profanity in the book, crude, sexual, offensive... every combination of such words too... you could possibly imagine. I didn't get everything he was talking about but it involved very large sums of money, putting some 'f****rs out of business', and prostitution, from what I could gather.
We arrive in Pittsburgh and I have to wait for an hour at midnight to get back on the bus. There is a new bus driver, he screams at me when I ask him "Is this the right bus? They said door 10, but this is door 11?" He stares at me for a good ten seconds then screams at me. After this we get onto the road and I make my best attempts at sleeping.
It is 3:00 A.M. and we arrive at Columbus, this bus station is old, gritty, depressing, and full of... very strange people. There is a man who was on the same bus as me, waiting to get back on. He stands in the middle of the station eating Nachos, chips, soda, a cheeseburger... all at 3:00 A.M.! He wasn't even a big fella either! Atop of this he made some very loud grunting noises when he ate. There were many other assortments of people making strange noises, saying strange things, staring at me because I'd found myself staring at them, and acting, well, strange in every possible manner.
We get another new bus driver, he is very, very old and has a week voice. He spends seven minutes trying to announce our route on the broken intercom, out heads are drilled near explosion by the static and bleeps and feedback. Finally he gives up. I wake up not too much later, we have stopped at a rest stop. The driver goes to the back of the bus to use the bathroom, the door is jammed, again, he spends an excessive amount of time trying to open it before giving up and going to the rest stop. He ends up stopping at about three or four more rest stops in the next three hours and we end up arriving an hour late.
Quite a ride, let's see what else happens this weekend!

No comments: